Sergei Gryzanov now CSO of MAIA

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
cheng_ho

Sergei Gryzanov now CSO of MAIA

Post by cheng_ho » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Surprised to see no discussion of this on any Geron board. Geron has patents that apply to 6-thio-dG, MAIA's telomerase inhibitor.

Will MAIA have to pay royalties to Geron if they succeed? Why did Sergei go to MAIA in the first place... was there just no place else for him to go after the Alios disaster?

https://maiabiotech.com/about/management-team/

biopearl123

Re: Sergei Gryzanov now CSO of MAIA

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi Bill, as always thank you for keeping this interesting topic on the front burner. Both Dr. Shay and Dr. Gryaznov (you should check your spelling) were great assets to Geron in their time. Given Dr. Gryaznov's status as father of Imetelstat, I have alway been surprised that he was not given a lab in homage and allowed to run free. Perhaps he has in some way we don't know about. I always wondered if the Nobel committee would come to know his work. In any case to your points, it may be that Geron has significant 6 TG patents and MAIA will have to come to terms with that, Dr. Scarlett is very circumspect when it comes to discussing Geron's IP. If not, one certainly wonders if synergism has been tested. It almost certainly has but like most skunk works projects remains secret. Other combinations, e.g. Venetoclax, Rux (sequential), Yale study combo's etc appear to remain inactive at least in the clinic and Dr. Scarlett has suggested obliquely that toxicities are potentially problematic. Your enthusiasm for MAIA is notable in that it appears to bring the work of both Dr. Gryaznov and Dr. Shay together. But Bill, really, I can't find anything to suggest we are seeing any clinical studies ongoing. Regarding Dr. Shay I always wondered if he (like some of the early stem cell researchers) may have had a falling out (read Dr. Okarma) over control of the early patents which clearly still have great value. Academic/Private enterprise fights are legion and I suspect this one was epic. A recent case in point was the apparent abrupt rupture of the Geron/Tefferi relationship which started as a love fest and ended in apparent estrangement and an unexpected patent filing by Mayo which looked like a land grab. (But Mayo is still a clinical site for ongoing clinical research). Well we will never know for sure and I have put MAIA on my radar at your suggestions. Please keep up posted. I know you have had a personal relationship with Dr. Shay (and perhaps Dr. Gryaznov?) and follow his work closely. regards, bp

cheng_ho

Re: Sergei Gryzanov now CSO of MAIA

Post by cheng_ho » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 pm

It is critically important to know what happens when you use a single-base telomerase inhibitor along with an oligo in vivo... in cell culture it's very effective, but AFAIK no one is bothering to try it in human trials.

So much secrecy, so many "trials" just to do patent extension on old drugs, so little real advancement.

And yet in the labs, the path to the end of aging is pretty clear, we finally have the experiment that Dr. Denckla wanted back in 1975:

https://www.aging-us.com/article/103418/text