A re post of my SA post

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

A re post of my SA post

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:47 pm

biopearl
Comments1039 | Following
If I am reading Dr. Steensma’s slides right, (slide 9), EVERYONE (except one) had a transfusion reduction. 9 had a less than 4 unit reduction but is three units no response? Many went down by three, some by two and one by one. Only ONE patients tx requirement went up. ONE. These patients are just scraping the line of arbitrary significance of a 4 unit reduction, a high bar. With more follow up, imagine half of these patients or more crossing the line. That 37% changes by a lot. There is a lot going on here. Remember these patients had (in the second group)a much shorter follow up time. Overall THOUSANDS of transfusions have been avoided in the study group alone. How many progressed to AML by the way, I want to know. bp
Please tell me if I am interpreting correctly, thanks. bp

huntingonthebluffs

Re: A re post of my SA post

Post by huntingonthebluffs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

biopearl123, I think those are great thoughts and your interpretation seems accurate to me. Yes there is a lot going on here, some even obvious to someone like myself, not knowledgeable in the science. It seems that every piece of data presented raises new possibilities or questions.

Since it is just a group of 38, it would be interesting to know more background on each patient and their treatment findings. A lot of the data is shown but not aligned with each respective patient so statistically we can’t go beyond what the charts tell us, probably by design.

Either way, I would be interested in knowing:

What was the starting TB for each patient along with start time in the CT per chart 9? Statistically how do those reaching TI compare to those with clear or light blue bars along with the key biomarkers of their disease characteristics?

Is there any means of estimating the odds that the 13 light blue bars turn to green or dark blue in time based on biomarkers or whatever? Does it seem reasonable that 25% (3) or even 50% (6) will change to durable TI's? Why or why not?

Are there any biomarkers that indicate one or more of these patients is likely progressing to AML? It would seem that a decreasing TB would not be one of them while an increasing TB could be.

BTW, FWIW one note on interpreting the chart, it does appear to me that the first 2 patients (vs 1) out of 38 in the chart on page 9 did not have a “TB reduction” (ie. the first patient increasing to 3 more units and second patient with no change to TB).

Dr. Steensma’s ASH presentation:

https://www.geron.com/file.cfm/53/docs/ ... 0FINAL.pdf

biopearl123

Re: A re post of my SA post

Post by biopearl123 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 am

Hunt, thank you for pointing this out to me. Pt number 2 appears as a "space" e.g. zero change. I missed that since there was no bar either way. bp