New patent

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl

New patent

Post by biopearl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:38 am

New patent kindly posted by mangymutt on YMB: 12/17/15 Filed New Geron Patent - Treatment of carcinomas with a combination of egf-pathway and telomerase inhibitors. Regards, bp

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Re: New patent

Post by Fishermangents » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks, Bio. Geron keeps building its IP, combo's included. That will support the JnJ cooperation, as well as staying ahead of competition.

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Post by Fishermangents » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:35 pm

Happy new year all of you! Let's see what developments we will see this year. I expect it to be rather dynamic: early read outs, fast track, JNJ continuation decision, next milestone payment, AML start, new indications.....

Geron just filed two new patents:
1 20150374841 12/31/15 Oligonucleotide conjugates
2 20150376624 12/31/15 Modified oligonucleotides for telomerase inhibition

That makes it 15 for 2015. Pretty impressive, I would say.

For all updates: http://stks.freshpatents.com/Geron-nm1.php?archive=2015

biopearl

Post by biopearl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Thanks Fisher, interesting to see new patents from a company that essentially shut down its primary research facilities. Speaking of shut down, I asked Anna about the two PV patients in the ET study, they are not releasing any info. Since these are presumably JAK 617V positive (speculation) I wonder why no info has been shared but can only guess it was not helpful to the cause. Would love to get sdraw over here. Good news from your heme/onc friend. Regards, bp

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Post by Fishermangents » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Bio, releasing information has to meet at least two criteria: 1) it needs to be accurate and well prepared and 2) it needs to be relevant for their business. Releasing information about the PV patients doesn't serve any objectives, as PV is not on the list of pursued indications. Releasing information just because it is available doesn't serve any purpose and may lead to confusion. And that's the last thing we want. Just my two cents.

biopearl

Post by biopearl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:15 am

Hi Fisher, good points but why title the study to include ET AND PV? Since there appeared to be effect in JAK 617V in ET and since Gs supposition in their presentations has been imet effect on progenitor cells which are "upstream" in both conditions and sice PV can also transform to AML... Well you get the picture as to why I am interested in that data. Regards, bp

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Post by Fishermangents » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Bio, I agree that the title suggests more about PV. I guess there must be some tactics behind that. My take is that imet will be used off label for other MPN's as soon it is approved for MF or MDS (which one will be first?). ET and PV are dangerous diseases indeed which in the end better get 'cured' then just palliated. I think a lot will depend on the pricing strategy for imet. If it will be 125K per year, doctors may choose for palliation with cheaper drugs (although Jakafi is not cheap at all, unlike interferon and hydroxurea). If they choose to make imet affordable for a larger group of patients may be able to benefit, incding PV and ET. They can also choose first target imet to those diseases with unmet needs (like MDS and MF), which justifies a higher price but will lead to lower volumes. Then later on price can be lowered to further penetrate the market and to encourage imet for combinations and for less deadly diseases like PV and ET.

I_Believe_Irish

Post by I_Believe_Irish » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:59 am

In the US, doctors don't concern themselves with the cost of the treatment. They are afraid of being sued for multiple millions for malpractice for failing to prescribe the best available treatment for a patient.
The insurance companies are concerned with the price but the limited number of patients in the insurance pool that need orphan drugs makes the high cost tolerable. I think the discounted price of imetelstat to insurance companies and government will be around $150k per year and the catalog price will approach $200k. Any other pricing scheme would be inconsistent with the current market and fail to reward the unprecedented results of the transformational drug.