For YMB readers:

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

For YMB readers:

Post by biopearl123 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 am

I pretty much stopped posting there since when I checked, I actually had more posters muted than active! For some reason the YMB has been a font of misdirection and misinformation and yes perhaps some magical thinking (in all directions). Some posters seem to take on multiple names but basically post the same repetitive nonsense. Stig has been great about taking them on but really one can only have so much patience, even a young whippersnapper med student. And so I send reinforcements from here. One has to wonder what might motivate posters there to be so intentionally inaccurate. Surly not to move the stock at least not re retail buyers. Nonetheless a money manager doing his or her research would probably look everywhere to get “information” and in the world of unusual financial ideas (FTX for example and years ago the “Eden sisters”), someone with some monetary influence could be swayed although the smart ones would see through it. But let’s face it, no one is that smart. Just look at your IRA/retirement accounts. Anyway for the record: MDS and MF are not the same disease but they are distant cousins. The recent PIII TLR for MDS was great with a very strong p value. Yes most (90%) of MDS patients have the SF3B1 mutation which confers a better prognosis but the study is about reducing or abolishing the tremendous transfusion burden these patient have. Along with transfusions comes iron overload and along with iron overload comes heart and liver failure among other problems, probably also including leukemia and a shorter life. The treatment for iron overload, short of awful chelation agents? Phlebotomy (drawing out large amount of blood and reducing the body’s total iron stores). But wait aren’t these patient requiring huge numbers of transfusions? Ah, there’s the rub. Phlebotomy would just kill them faster. So reducing or abolishing the need for transfusion will increase longevity in an of itself. Not all patients become transfusion independent? True but MOST if not transfusion free have a signification improvement that translates to fewer transfusions for them and less iron overload and a probable longer life, fewer trips to the hospital and doc and a much better life. And not just the SF3B1 patients but many other mutations as well. OK so there is that. Now to MF. In MF only a fraction (10%) have the SF3B1 mutation but many are also helped by needing fewer transfusions. The deal here is, well, they live longer and have a better bone marrow picture on imetelstat. So if I were a money manager, I would read the YMB and ask myself why that stuff is being posted. I would read this board too in addition to doing all kinds of other research. Anyway, that’s it for now. Peace and Love, bp