About that one placebo patient

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

About that one placebo patient

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:34 pm

An interesting thing about studies is that patients just seem to do better in general, even placebo patients. All of a sudden there are “free” clinic visits, lots of attention, lots of labs and a patient can really feel he or she is part of something. It is part of the “placebo effect” for sure. Many patients might feel they want to “tough it out” in an attempt to help the study. This patient like many in the placebo group had no idea if he or she was getting drug or not and was willing to tolerate a Hgb of 6 in order to “help”. There is always that possibility just as someone who might be having side effects might want to “tough it out” to be able to stay on drug and realize other benefits as well as help the study and perhaps altruistically help future patients. The statisticians know this and have ways of evaluating this. Also well being studies and assessments are plentiful and as more data is analyzed should shed light. The importance of todays data release is really about the amazing depth and duration of drug effect and DISEASE MODIFICATION and should not be sidelined by an analysts one negative question about an outlier. It is a good day for Geron and MDS (and future) study patients. bp

kmall

Re: About that one placebo patient

Post by kmall » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 pm

Did you notice that both Dr. Scarlett and Dr. Feller chuckled somewhat when the question was asked? -Kmall

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:48 pm

Yes of course! That question was straight out of the Feuerstein encyclopedia of shade spin! Anyone here agree we are not dealing with flimsy data?

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Apparently he's not..... someone posted what he said on Twitter earlier on the YMB and it seems slanderous to me. If someone like him blatantly lies, can't they be sued? I would think he has already caused tens of millions if not more in civil damages to this company and it's shareholders. It sure would be nice if someone made an example of him and that sort of behavior if applicable. -Kmall

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:50 pm

kmall wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Did you notice that both Dr. Scarlett and Dr. Feller chuckled somewhat when the question was asked? -Kmall
They chuckled when the question was asked a second time, and the analyst asked to ‘say a little more’…

It is clear how statistically significant the data is, thus, meaningless to sweat the machinations of analysts and Twitter trolls.

The data will be further studied and we will get even more meaningful evaluations, but, only things that matter is:

Endpoints met, clearly.
Well established safety profile
Clear road with FDA for initial approval

Check, check, check … and let’s not forget every analyst was congratulatory, despite the silly line of questioning. No one can dispute this data or the value of the drug…

Now, rolling submission, NDA, and eventually, approval. Why worry about the muppet gallery? Or, if you prefer the Mad Mag reference, what me worry???

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:24 pm

Ryan- while I understand your sentiment on both points here, I haven't had the opportunity to read today's transcript or re-listen to the CC. I didn't think that either one (Dr. Scarlett or Dr. Feller) really made light of that particular patients outcome to be a single entity in the study, nor the question "silly" in the first place. It was completely valid and I think Biopearl summed up completely the possibilities for that result as did Dr. Feller, with a little less detail.

On the Fuerstein topic, it is an actual disservice to not only this company and investors when a "journalist" in a position of his who apparently has influence and effect with his opinion, blatantly lies and spreads misinformation for his own self interests. It can have a much wider scope of collateral damage besides those which are financially based.

Have you ever spent time in a Cancer Hospital? I certainly hope not. I spent the better part of 3yrs at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC which is one of the most premiere Cancer Institutions on the planet. Sometimes several days a week - up to 3 - I witnessed up to 50 patients or more with their loved ones in a massive waiting room, all there for treatment. These were patients of all ages and races from around this country and world waiting for treatment. And just about every time I was there it was full to capacity. Then I used to sit with my friend for approximately 3hrs while he under went Chemotherapy by intravenous injection. Some days he had good days.... usually before going for treatment if he smoked a little weed he could tolerate the Chemo....on those days you'd find me running downstairs to Qdoba for a burrito bowl which he would eat while the intravenous drip did it's thing. Since he held a high position in Govt as a NYC Commissioner, there were MANY days where he didn't have the opportunity to smoke before hand. He did quite a bit of public speaking and various appointments on behalf of disabled citizens in NYC. On those days it was quite a different story. There were many afternoons where he spent the majority of his time not only hooked up to an IV, but also vomiting practically non-stop into a garbage can for the better part of those 3hrs. These are the people that Fuerstein is damaging the most by attacking companies who are developing drugs to help those in need. The funding of Clinical Trials and developing of drugs costs a lot of money. Period. I remember that "flimsy data" article quite well back in 2018. It may have cost this company a great deal of time as well as money. Several phony "lawsuits" arose from that simple Tweet from a "Twitter troll" as you say. Don't be fooled, what Geron is focused on and the territory they may gain as a result of Imetelstat is in essence a war. From the way Dr. Scarlett spoke this morning, I too feel like he has spent quite a bit of time amongst those suffering and is dedicated in trying to bring this drug to market so those who are, may suffer a little less. And it will be even better if he can stop them from having to suffer at all in the first place. My friend lost his battle on the warfront that goes on day in and day out. He's been gone now for almost 12yrs. There's not a single day that goes by that I don't think about him and the suffering which maybe never had to be there at all. I know you're a long term bonafide shareholder and as such a supporter of these many patients as well. We must always remember the sacrifices of those in all of these Clinical Trials. Without them there would be no Geron or drugs like Imetelstat which in turn may benefit all of us someday. Just for the record, I'm not worried about much these days or sweating the small stuff for that matter. But I will call it like I see it. All the best to you and fellow Geron investors here! -Kmall

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:34 pm

The question was silly because / when it was asked for a second time. That's when you can hear the chuckles and that's when it was silly.

Yes, I've been to Cancer hospitals /wards.