Hayflick - About those Patents

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
Ryan

Hayflick - About those Patents

Post by Ryan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm

Hayflick made an interesting comment about reading specific patents, that ultimately would lead to lower dosages and lower toxicity…

I’m hoping he will post the links to those patents here.

Cheers all. We’re on the cusp of something big IMO.

Ryan

Re: Hayflick - About those Patents

Post by Ryan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:11 pm

Interesting comment *on Yahoo!*

kmall

Post by kmall » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:40 pm

@Hayflick: if you're able to post on Imetechat, is there any chance you could provide links for a few of Geron's patents you have made reference to recently?

1. Low dosage - "I was reading some of the patents the other day and my interpretation indicates that the new telomerase inhibitor will be much more bio-available and that the new dosage will be only about one tenth the amount of the present dosage and that should do away with most of the side effects."

2. Stomach acid - "I was reading some of the patents the other day and it appears that the biggest obstacle to having a telomerase inhibitor in pill form was the acid in the stomach would destroy the inhibitor from my interpretation they have overcome that obstacle."

3. You had also mentioned U S patent application 20200063214 Methods of identifying patients likely to benefit from treatment with a telomerase inhibitor

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200063214A1/en

Looks like it was "assigned" to Geron 3/1/21; however, "status pending"??

Can you expand/clarify upon on this?

4. Someone (not you) had mentioned Geron possibly having a cancer "vaccine"? From what I recall it may have been a misinterpretation of a recent news article touting a "vaccine" for triple negative breast patients.

"So far, the FDA have only approved the following vaccines to treat cancer in the U.S.: BCG live: This vaccine can treat early stage bladder cancer. Sipuleucel-T: This vaccine can treat prostate cancer. Talimogene laherparepvec : This vaccine can treat melanoma. Feb 26, 2021"

Have you happened across any Geron/Imetelstat vaccines targeting cancer in your research?

It seems that there is an immense potential locked into some of Geron's patents. Perhaps much, much more than realized.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide. -Kmall

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:46 pm

Thanks KMall, for articulating my thought and providing significant additional information.

A little concerned that Hayflick is throwing out all of this on Yahoo! sans backup links. I have always found him/her to be a straight shooter, so not really questioning the info, but would definitely like to pursue this information myself.

There is another post about patents on there again today. “Where’s the Beef?”

By the way, Post #1,000 coming up…… hope it’s a good one:)

kmall

Post by kmall » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:39 pm

@Ryan.....not sure if Hayflick is registered here, hopefully he responds. In the meantime two patents I came across while briefly looking over a few seemed of major importance, ...to me anyway.

#1 - has to do with the testing of patients for tolerance to telomerase inhibitors......imagine the scope and volume of patients this would entail? If telomerase inhibition was proven to treat 90% of all cancers, I'd say the numbers would be overwhelming.......and that's just testing, not treatment.

"Method for identification of sensitivity of a patient to telomerase inhibition therapy" (Patent # 10,196,677)
https://patents.justia.com/patent/10196677

"Telomerase is active in essentially all cancers, but is generally present at very low or non-detectable levels in normal adult tissue."

"Telomerase activation is necessary for most cancer cells to replicate indefinitely and thereby enables tumor growth and metastasis. (Kim et al., Science vol. 266 pp 2011-2015; Greider C W, Blackburn E H. Sci Am February: 92-97, 1996; Shay J W and Wright W E. “Senescence and immortalization: role of telomeres and telomerase” Carcinogenesis 26:867-74, 2005). Therefore inhibition of telomerase is considered a promising treatment strategy for a broad variety of solid tumor types and hematological malignancies (Harley C B, Nature Rev. Cancer, vol. 8 pp 167-179, 2008)."

"SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION.........

"The invention provides methods of determining the susceptibility of cancer patients to develop toxicities if treated with a telomerase inhibitor drug. The invention requires the measurement of telomere lengths in appropriate cells of the patient prior to initiation of the telomerase inhibitor treatment and the correlation of the telomere length measurement with susceptibility to thrombocytopenia. In one embodiment, an algorithm is provided to assist with the correlation."

"In an aspect of the method, the cancer is selected from the group consisting of breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, gastric cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, pharynx cancer, rectal cancer, pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, liver cancer, bladder cancer, cancer of the urinary tract, thyroid cancer, renal cancer, skin cancer, brain cancer, leukemia, myeloma and lymphoma."

#2 - Diagnostic markers for treating cell proliferative disorders with telomerase inhibitors (Patent number: 9951389)
https://patents.justia.com/patent/9951389

From what I understand proliferative disorders encompasses various blood tissue cancers including lymphoproliferative disorders and myeloproliferative disorders, which are being currently studied Pre-Clinical at MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Again, these patents aren't something I'm extremely versed in, but with my basic understanding of the science behind Imetelstat and patient populations covering almost all cancer through telomerase inhibition, both of these patents seem to hold significant possibilities for Geron in the future.

Perhaps "Bigger than all of us?" -Kmall

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:37 am

Getting drugs encapsulated to protect them from gastric acid is an art well known to the pharma designers. If I remember correctly, even some antibiotics like penicillin are partially destroyed by gastric acid and so the problem has been around for a while and has been addressed with dose or preparation modifications. I don’t think the patents hayflicklim is referring to are specific to imetelstat, but to telomerase in general. I think we would all like to review the patents he is referring to to understand them better. It is unlikely we will get to see them soon as they may still be hidden in the basement of Mar a Lago. In any case, hayflicklim, if you read this board (doesn’t everyone?) please post some links so we can see what you have been looking at.