Use in CLL

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl

Use in CLL

Post by biopearl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Fish, didn't see where you had started new topic but wanted to try to respond to Scotty's question. Long ago in a land far away the early clinical reports of GRN163 in CLL came a a small conference in Maui (not a nationally prestigious conference one might say). The results were highly anticipated and maybe a little promising. As I recall one patient had a cell lysis syndrome and those of us interested then thought maybe the drug lysed all those abnormal CLL cells. Unfortunately it was Tom Okarma's misrepresentation (lie) that use in CLL was "slam dunk" since CLL cells had short telomeres and would be exquisitely sensitive to the drug. The CLL study might still be posted on CT site but anyway it just didn't work. I know you have a relative with CLL and I wish him or her the best. Perhaps some combo rx will work. Fortunately many patients with CLL have a mild disease and die "with their disease" rather than from it to my recollection. I know that is a generalization. It seems there have been great strides in treating this disease and I hope your family member can benefit. Regards, bp

scottmayhew

Re: Use in CLL

Post by scottmayhew » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks for the history lesson. I was totally unaware both that Imetelstat had been tried for CLL and that Okarma was a liar.

As for my nephew, he is on Gleevec and its been a miracle drug for him. It took some adjustment for his young body to handle, but once he'd been on it for a while, he got used to the side effects and it cleared up his CLL. Of course, he will have to take a pill everyday for the rest of his life, but unlike so many others, there is an answer for his disease and we are all grateful.