Hoosier Investor please comment

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

Hoosier Investor please comment

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:11 pm

HI, as you know Cheng Ho has been very interested in MAIA and posted a link to an article in Cancer Cell. This work is preclinical but Bill feels it is very promising. Since you are the master of IP would you please comment to the extent you can regarding Geron's IP in this area? There does seem to be some potential protection (and possible patent conflict) for Geron in this area. I have unsuccessfully tried to get Dr. Scarlett to comment on the extent of Geron's patent portfolio and he has steadfastly side stepped my inquires. Perhaps you can help. Thanks bp

Ryan

Re: Hoosier Investor please comment

Post by Ryan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:28 pm

For years, he knocked Geron's preclinical and early stage trials / data, and now that Geron is in late stage trials (2), he touts a preclinical stage hypothesis.

Meanwhile, I'll also address the 'lab'. Janssen was the lab for the past 5 years, pumping 100s of millions into Phase II as well as preclinical studies. Thanks Janssen. Then the key members of the Janssen 'lab' came on to Geron team. They hired Paraxel, one of the preeminent CROs to contract as the 'lab'. You say tomato, I say tomaato, in any case Geron will be completing Phase III trials and entering NDA stage in a few short years while that preclinical study *may enter early stage trials in a couple years, if they pull funding together -

Only then would it deserve any thought in terms of IP / patent discussion.

I wonder more so, why you lend any credence to what that FUDster [Fear Uncetainty Doubt] says, asks, or implies. You can see what he has written over time (including being part of an org than seeks to overthrow the New Hampshire government, lol), and it does not merit credible attention that you are seeking from 'Hoosier Investor'. Why elevate it to credibility when it is clearly undeserving.

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Ryan, perhaps you are right. My primary goal here is to seek the truth where ever it may take us and to foster board discussion. As you know my favorite aphorism is "Surround yourself by those who seek the truth, and run like hell from those who have found it." Perhaps Bill has found it, I don't know. But I do find his thoughts interesting and he is the only person I know who has actually held a vial of Imetelstat in his hands in a lab (not clinical) setting. If HI can contribute that would be great, he has a deep understanding of the patent laws and Bill himself might find HI's insights interesting enough to modify his stridency. Perhaps we might also glean whether there is potential synergy between MAIA and Geron. Dr. Shay's work is always worth following and he knows both companies intimately. Regards, bp

Hoosier Investor

Post by Hoosier Investor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:25 am

BP,

The 6-thio-G compound is shown in the specification (p. 67) of two Geron patents (US9593137B2, US10035814B2), but the compound is NOT specifically mentioned in the patent claims. Thus, I conclude Geron does NOT have broad protections involving the 6-thio compound(s).

However, as mentioned in my previous write-ups, Geron has secured MF & MDS patent protections at a higher/broader level involving the use of 'telomerase inhibitors' as a treatment for certain MPNs. Thus, if the 6-thio compounds can be viewed as telomerase inhibitors, then they would fall under the broader protections afforded Geron.

Regards,
H-I

cheng_ho

Post by cheng_ho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for looking at the patents, HI. I agree that Geron's "concept patent" (something that is not supposed to exist) on "telomerase inhibitors in MF, MDS, and AML" (I know it's three blood cancers, hope I remember the AML correctly?) does apply.

The other patents mention "modified Guanines" and include a list of modifications that would cover 6-thio-dG... I had assumed that would give Geron some interest. If you're right and it doesn't, then MAIA is free to use 6-thio-dG and combinations on all blood cancers except the three in the "concept patent".

cheng_ho

Post by cheng_ho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 pm

@Ryan: not only did I not "knock" Geron's preclinicals... I DID the first preclinicals on imetelstat while I was at Shay-Wright lab :roll:

And I lost a bundle when JNJ and Scarlett tricked us into believing that JNJ was going to continue (the "job posting", the compassionate-use listing, and all the rest).

It's not me that claims that 6-thio-dG is "more effective" than imetelstat... it's the Shay Lab, using experimental results since 2014.

Of course any new technology can fail (as you and I learned in 2018). But if 6-thio-dG works well in clinical trials (and there is a history of use of the drug, so it's unlikely to fail for safety reasons), it might actually get accelerated approval, as imetelstat has failed to do.

Best of luck to you, and keep learning... science didn't end in 2003.