Telomerase

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
Gwikley

Telomerase

Post by Gwikley » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 am

The specific pathway of this enzyme.....are there any other compounds in development by other companies that strive to achieve the same effect of telomere manipulation?
Understand the patent restrictions owned by the company.
But I imagine, ( and that is the question, really), that, somewhere, some group(s) are figuring out alternative pathways.

Perhaps ,if you've time dear reader, you could share your discoveries with a link or two? My searches provide squat. Thanks in advance.

biopearl123

Re: Telomerase

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:42 am

Bill W (Chang ho) would be a good one to answer this but it would require him to take the question seriously and avoid a glib response. You question calls for an in depth scholarly response. I am asking Bill W our anyone equipped to answer, to rise to the challenge. bp

cheng_ho

Post by cheng_ho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 pm

I answered gwik on ST... the quick answer is yes, there are many other telomerase-inhibitor drugs already in use. Azacitidine is currently in many combo trials, including the ARGX trial that JNJ funded heavily right after dropping Geron. Also check out Constellation... just do searches on "MDS" and AML on the clinical trials site.

Dr. Shay thinks that 6-thio-dG is the best current telomerase inhibitor, the startup company MAIA is trying to get a trial going on it. They may be blocked by Geron patents, while Geron refuses to do any work on 6-thio-dG themselves... this is the story of most telomerase science. Blocked by Geron patent trolling, but Geron itself has no labs, technical staff, or living management.

Stop blaming me for being "glib", start blaming the FDA/patent system which has literally killed our boomer generation. We could have been the first transhumans, instead we die as the last hominid animals in futile "religious" wars under our oligarchs.

Gwikley

Post by Gwikley » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks. Appreciate the detail response. And, I did not recognize your identity on ST.