Request for info re Onconova from Martin YMB

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

Request for info re Onconova from Martin YMB

Post by biopearl123 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 pm

A YMB board poster, Martin, has requested some information/opinions re Onconova particularly as their work might relate to Geron's. Anyone with information to share would be welcomed. My preliminary view is that their drug is targeting high risk MDS patients with an end point of OS (a phase II study (ONTIME) did not show survival effect. The major PIII, a combo study with HMAs has been ongoing and had the number of enrollees increased, I presume to try to achieve or enhance the statistical validity. Contrast this with Geron who has a primary end point of 8 week TI (with multiple other secondary end points) and potential for a much shorter study that targets a different population of high transfusion requirement, lower risk MDS patients. There have been CRs etc with the Onconova agent and also improvements in TR and achievement of TRs so this company is worth watching if only to see how they might position themselves in a future market. Right now it appears that limitations includes significant urological toxicity which may be overcome with dosing changes/bicarb administration etc. The company is cash poor and recently had a major reverse split, something Geron is not immune to either. I have not found much discussion re potential disease modification, a major Geron selling point. Martin, while this might not help much it might open a compare/contrast discussion. As I see things shaping up it appears the Luspatercept is going for low risk/MDS patients and Onconova is pursuing high risk/heavy blast burden patients with Geron demarcating the high transfusion requirement/lower risk MDS group. Please feel free to modify or correct these ideas. bp