An appeal from biopearl

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

An appeal from biopearl

Post by biopearl123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 pm

As some of you know from private communications, I have been retired for about 6 weeks which has provided me with ample time for reflection. It has been my pleasure to moderate this board and I was truly honored when Fish Sr. asked me to take this on. It is hardly onerous as virtually all contributors have been decorous and well informed. Without getting too existential, it is important for each of us to examine why we follow this company and this drug in particular. Few know much about Fishermangents (Fish Sr.). With the blessing of "Fish Jr" I can share a few important details of his life. I have read his obituary and corresponded with Fish Sr.while he was still alive. Obviously given the careful structure and thought that went into building this board, he was a highly intelligent and accomplished individual. He died at the young age of 57 and he died of Myelofibrosis. He was never able to avail himself of Imetelstat yet he fostered our understanding of it selflessly. He never complained. Most never even knew he was ill. Most never knew that despite his illness he was not a part of Imetelstat's clinical evaluation. And yet here is this compilation of material which he made available to all of us. Soon we will be headed either to the bank or the poor house. If there is success to be had it is because of people like Fish Sr. who help guide our own research even though he himself had a fatal disease. I thought it would be appropriate, before we actually "open the envelope" next month to do a little self evaluation and look beyond ourselves and why we own stock in this company. Most, including myself are hardly pure altruists. Yet supporting a company is only one way to effect change. I propose that we concretize our interest, and perhaps celebrate our success and the success of patients who unlike Fish Sr., might actually receive this drug and have their lives improved and extended, with contributions directly to those scientists we have learned from and who have worked to bring this drug into the public domaine. I will list those physicians and contacts for their labs that I think might reflect the origin of some of the knowledge provided us. Please feel free to add (or subtract.). I will do this in part two of this note. bp

biopearl123

Re: An appeal from biopearl

Post by biopearl123 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:08 am

Part II: Sergei of course was the true father of Imetelstat. He apparently made a soft landing at Janssen so I won't include him on this list as he is not strictly now an academic but I think we will hear much more about him in the coming months. His contribution and brilliance is enormous as are his many associates listed on papers and patents so I won't list them here. For the purposes of making contributions I propose the labs listed below. My own contribution has been directly to Fish Jr, in honor of Fishermangents, to support this year's fees required to maintain this board and to pay the pro to finally get it to the point where it was functional. (Still has a few glitches to iron out and Fish Jr is on it.). Since we are all anonymous here, if you do make a contribution please let the rest of the community know via this board while maintaining your anonymity. I suggest contributions in the name of those who shared their experiences with us. I don't was to provide actual names but please keep in mind "Fishermangents", "John" and "Joann".

Here are the three labs that come to mind". In the US: 1. mayoclinic. org. You can direct contributions to Dr. Tefferi or the Myelofibrosis/ MDS clinic
2. givenow.columbia.edu. you can direct contributions to Dr. Azra Raza in MDS research. 3. In Europe: Inselspital Bern, Freiburgstrasse, CH-3010 Bern. Switzerland. (Fish Jr, you may want to tweek this address to be sure I got it right). 4. If Fish Jr is comfortable providing additional information, you could contribute directly to the hospital that cared for his father.

Thank you for reading and considering this. Regards bp

jpheis

Post by jpheis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 pm

BP- I share your sentiment and will gladly contribute. Let us know if Fish Jr provides the hospital info. I’m also happy to contribute to the costs of this site. Fish is a big part of my oversized position and returns in Geron. His raw knowledge was incredible and his belief in Imetelstat was infectious.

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 pm

jpheis, many thanks. Fish Jr reads this board regularly. I will ask him to contact you directly. I am intentionally not dealing with any finances except as they pertain to the management of this board and my own personal donations. Your support and kindness is greatly appreciated. bp