OS vs median OS

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl

OS vs median OS

Post by biopearl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Additional thoughts: One thing to keep in mind as we try to parse out what Dr. S actually meant with his comments which were as noted in discussion here-opaque. OS is how long patients live from the time of enrollment or treatment initiation (or possibly from the time JAK inhibitor stopped, we don't know for sure when they started the clock), this measure includes death from any reason even if unrelated to the disease. Typically I have seen 5 or ten years as a target to represent a surrogate for cure. Ok so in contrast median OS is only reached when 50% of patients die and 50% are still alive. This is different from OS which means waiting for every patient live for a defined period, for example 5 years as in "the five year survival rate is x". I suppose the median survival rate in the R/R group for MF could be 5 years if 50% of patients lived that long (unlikely-but some small numbers might). We are in uncharted territory with life extensions never seen before. I highly doubt that life extension of five years is reasonable but it did seem to happen for John! who was weeks from death. There may be subgroups that are important and once the combination therapies are evaluated one's imagination may be the limiting factor. bp

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Re: OS vs median OS

Post by Fishermangents » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Wikipedia:
'Median survival, or "median overall survival" is also commonly used to express survival rates. This is the amount of time after which 50% of the patients have died and 50% have survived. In ongoing settings such as clinical trials, the median has the advantage that it can be calculated once 50% of subjects have reached the clinical endpoint of the trial, whereas calculation of an arithmetical mean can only be done after all subjects have reached the endpoint.'