About venetoclax - imetelstat combo

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
Fishermangents
Site Admin

About venetoclax - imetelstat combo

Post by Fishermangents » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I have collected a few opinions from some of the experts from SA regarding the venetoclax - imet combo.

This is an interesting video about venetoclax. The onco-community seems to be excited about this drug:

http://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/am ... lax-in-aml

On SA there were some comments, that I would like to repeat here:

"Agree that this positive coming out of JNJ labs is very encouraging. The results are a likely explanation for rescheduling an announcement for an AML human trial with Imet to reduce toxicity concerns" (Deplprice)

"The point everyone has been missing is that Janssen's army of researchers has been spending the past year trying to figure out the best way to use imetelstat, both as a single drug and in combination with other drugs. The principal challenge with using imetelstat in combination is toxicity. The challenge with first generation BCL-2 inhibitors was dose-limiting thrombocytopenia (not a good choice for an imetlestat combo). Venetoclax, however, is much more selective and has minimal effect on platelets. The drug is the perfect candidate to be used in combo with imetelstat, in AML." (Curiosity Killed the Cat)

"Also interesting that BCL-2 interacts with mitochondria; if my memory serves dysfunctional mitochondria are theorized to be involved with carcinogenesis, where research is focused on the etiology of myeloid diseases/immune system dysfunction. Venetoclax may be safer than the combo doxorubicin/Imet studies in mice published a couple of years ago by Lane (the Australian researcher)" (Delprice)

"From a high level perspective, our world-class partner (JNJ) has just completed significant research involving our drug (Imetelstat) in combination with a very promising drug (Venetoclax) belonging to another of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. Most importantly, our partner feels it prudent & useful to present the results of the research at a major conference.....standard procedure in support of future clinical trials." (Hoosier Investor)

"So it's interesting that Venetoclax activates the p53 gene and therefore can be considered a p21 tumor suppressor. The Yale studies conclude that any p53 activator has the potential to work better with Imetelstat. The discussion was about Serafinib, RNAi, and antisense compounds. It seems Janssen has knowledge of the studies and is using Imetelstat with such compounds that are best in class regardless of whose drug it is." (Leviek)

"Kate Sasser is a VP, Head of Translational Oncology Research at JNJ and is on the author list for the AML combo study with AML and venetoclax (for presentation) ../.. I believe JNJ has a sound strategy to demonstrate the slow but curative potential of an Imetelstat platform." (Delprice)