NSCLC Study

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
phil

NSCLC Study

Post by phil » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:11 pm

I've been looking to buy back in (even though I believe we are still months away from data) and have read the recent studies (I will probably comment on Dr. Lane's study later). More positive news coming out suggesting many new trials on the horizon- although that horizon is probably a few years away.
Not sure if this was covered...

Suggesting UNIVERSAL CANCER TREATMENT POTENTIAL
"This supports inhibition of telomerase as a universal cancer therapy target in telomerase expressing tumors. Time to senescence or cell death, however, was dependent on initial telomere length and growth rate of the cell line.

For those who thought the previous studies failed
"Our results, along with previous imetelstat studies, support continued investigation of telomerase inhibition in NSCLC, particularly for tumors with short telomeres."

Seems essential for CONTINUOUS TREATMENT in order for imet to be effective
"We emphasize that imetelstat and thus telomerase-targeted therapy can be effective in NSCLCs with many different oncogenotypes and drug response phenotypes. In addition, imetelstat dosage schedules must ensure continuous treatment so drug induced telomere shortening is not negated by drug free intervals allowing telomere regrowth."

Works best with SHORT telomeres
"In conclusion, the present results support continued testing of telomerase targeted therapy across the full spectrum of NSCLCs, with any early phase clinical trials directed at patients shown to have the shortest quartile of telomere length at the initiation of therapy to provide an enrollment enrichment biomarker for telomerase targeted cancer therapy."

Importantly, resistance to drug does NOT materialize
"We potentially expected to see resistant subpopulations grow out during the extended culturing in vitro; surprisingly we saw no evidence for emerging resistance."

Fishermangents
Site Admin

Re: NSCLC Study

Post by Fishermangents » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks, Phil. I shows that imetelstat is not out of sight for NSCLC. This study clearly has an open end. After approval we will probably see that old trials and studies are being picked up again, such as the NSCLC, MM and Pancreatic.