Are they getting more positive results

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam

biopearl123

Re: Are they getting more positive results

Post by biopearl123 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:01 am

Whoa! It’s pretty unusual to hear about results in a study that is ongoing but this is a single arm study so it’s not like there is a placebo group. Very interesting find. Clinical trials.gov did change the expected top line report date and extended it by about a year. Certainly made me wonder if patients were living longer (these are AML patients who are out of options.) Be nice to have a few more details. Nice dig RC.

rccola335

Post by rccola335 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:14 am

I believe they dosed the first patient on 6/5/23 - and we remember the video of the lady in October who felt so great - and now they use the term “game changer “ there are 12 centers in the study and it looks like the plan is for 46 participants - this is from Dr Lanes center - they have data with the MF at this point to see how things are working (if they are) - and likewise with AML - how many patients have been treated at Dr Lanes center? I can’t see them putting out this tweet unless they are seeing significant results and can hardly contain their excitement

We may need a bigger boat

rccola335

Post by rccola335 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 am

Since one of their study centers has been going public with this info I sent a letter to Geron to see if they will comment on it. I asked if they could tell us how many people have been treated there. Doesn’t hurt to ask

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:05 am

Good luck with that.

Bigfun

Post by Bigfun » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:41 am

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 0of%20GPX4.

Hi Folks, I was digging around some more today regarding ferroptosis. This Australian study got me thinking about it again. What was really interesting was that agents that induce ferroptosis have been studied as a way to reduce chemo drug resistance in other cancers. This article does not reference Imetelstat but it got me thinking that it would point to Imet as an effective combo therapy if it can play the same (or more potent) role as some of the agents outlined here. I am not a biologist so much speculation on my part but thought you guys might want to chew on it a bit.

"It has been reported that tumor cells may significantly enhance their oxidative stress defense ability by negatively regulating ferroptosis, thus leading to resistant survival [64], which shed light on reversing cancer resistance by inducing ferroptosis. As many studies have shown, regulation of ferroptosis may overcome resistance to traditional chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy. These findings hold promises for the development of novel therapeutics by inducing ferroptosis for overcoming drug resistance in cancer."

Hoosier Investor

Post by Hoosier Investor » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm

Bigfun,

I came across the same article, and I've been pondering the exact same question as you. More specifically, does this revelation that Imetelstat can induce ferroptosis simply help explain our responses in the heme space, OR could it result in additional use in other diseases?

Like you stated, it would seem our Imetelstat might be useful in combination with other chemo drugs involving other cancer indications. Perhaps it could be used in true combination, sequentially, or afterwards to help minimize the cancer developing a resistance to the primary chemo treatment. That would be wonderful news & opportunity for us.

However, at this point, it would seem the initial findings require more study & confirmation. I'm also not aware if we're somewhat unique in this ability to induce ferroptosis, or if Imetelstat is simply "another" drug (i.e. one of many) that are capable of inducing ferroptosis. If the initial research finding proves correct AND we're one of only a few drugs capable of inducing such ferroptosis, then @rccola may be correct.....we might need a bigger boat!!!

I suggest you start a new thread on the topic, and post your thoughts & link to the article for others to review & discuss.

Thank you!!!