Everything is relative

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

Everything is relative

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:09 pm

Some as asked for a reckoning of side effects from Imetelstat. Fair enough. I think however having some framework that allows evaluation of alternatives help with perspective. Let’s start with the side effects of blood transfusions: 1. Volume overload (many patients with MPD have concurrent vascular disease including CHF which will worsen with volume administration) 2. Transfusion reaction 3. Iron overload with liver and heart (cardiomyopathy) consequences. 4. Blood borne infections 5. I suppose you could include expense (collection, storage, administration equipment, nursing supervisions, multiple needles sticks, the psychology of watching someone else’s blood drip into your veins, the knowledge that nothing is really altering the natural history of your disease and that some will “transform”) , trips to transfusion center, loss of time with family and maybe a limited change in the symptoms aside from those of anemia. That’s a partial list.

Next other drugs: here’s Revlimid: (Recent article to a look at combination with ESAs or Lus?) :

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... g-20068352

As you can see that’s quite a list. Everything is relative and a full risk/benefit analysis is what we will see on March 14th. In the meantime. Geron’s Feb 28th presentation starts at 8 am ET, one hour and and a half before the market opens, usually these presentations are “short and (not so) sweet”. There is plenty of time for presentation of new business related info (the long hoped for European partnership?) and for questions. It is notable that the extensive Geron hiring is all US based. We will see if Geron and analysts fill this time allotment. Maybe we can get an update on progress with the oral agent and the IMpress trial enrollment. I speak now directly to the disease of lower risk MDS: beware the Ides of March! (well almost).
Regards to all, even to the mollusks with the bluest of blue blood (may you have the power to move the FDA in your favor and may Dr. Scarlett pick up the sword of your defense). bp

kmall

Re: Everything is relative

Post by kmall » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Bp - just a small correction to your post, Geron does have over a half dozen UK based employees headed by Sharon McBain - Head of Global Regulatory. -Kmall

kmall

Post by kmall » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:58 pm

And Bp - thanks for your support of the blue blooded mollusk, which encompasses a much greater spectrum of species.....BTW - they are considered to be in the scorpion/spider family rather than mollusks.....a little food for thought. -Kmall

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:33 pm

Kmall, I stand happily corrected on both points