Will NOAA take action while the FDA stands on the sidelines?

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
kmall

Will NOAA take action while the FDA stands on the sidelines?

Post by kmall » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:21 pm

Although some readers may find this topic irrelevant on the Imetelchat board, the fact that the FDA has the ability to stop the deaths of over 300,000 animals per year, mirrors the plight many human patients endure as the FDA keeps Imetelstat from being readily available for those suffering with MDS, MF and AML - in my view.

Several European pharmaceuticals (Sanofi, Pfizer, Roche) have taken the stance of adopting a synthetic alternative which negates the need to harvest horseshoe crab blood. American BP should follow suit in protecting the 450 million year old horseshoe crab from extinction, and in turn all other animals which rely on them for their own survival......come on already FDA....it's 2024.....time to wake up and do something! -Kmall

"Pharmaceutical companies reap horseshoe crabs in large numbers - nearly 1 million in 2022 - for their blue-colored blood, which contains a clotting agent used to test drugs and medical devices for bacterial endotoxins, the petition said.

Regulations allow the biomedical industry to extract only a portion of a horseshoe crab's blood and then release it alive in the area it was collected, though 10-15% of harvested animals die during this process, NOAA says on its website.

Harlan said non-industry research shows about 30% of horseshoe crabs collected for blood extraction die in the process. He added that synthetic alternatives are widely used in Europe, but U.S. companies have been slow to adopt them."

https://www.reuters.com/business/enviro ... 024-02-13/
Last edited by kmall on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayfish101

Re: Will NOAA take action while the FDA stands on the sidelines?

Post by jayfish101 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:29 pm

Is it okay to eat crab? If so, can't they be used for research purposes too? Or is it that we eat and research too many?

kmall

Post by kmall » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:44 pm

Jay - while I appreciate your input here on this forum, it seems like you may be slightly confused at the point in focus here. Perhaps you're not familiar with this species?

It's not edible for human consumption. Several species of shorebirds depend on horseshoe crab larve for their survival. The decimation of this species has a negative domino effect on many others in turn. There is a SYNTHETIC ALTERNATIVE AVAILABLE which many European pharmaceuticals have adopted. The lack of action from the FDA with the now drawn out approval process of Imetelstat mirrors the plight of those suffering with multiple Hematological disorders at this very moment. -Kmall

jayfish101

Post by jayfish101 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:41 pm

That was sarcasm. And you are off topic! No more condescending please.

kmall

Post by kmall » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:54 pm

Jay - with all due respect, when you become moderator of this board, then you can decide the relevance of a post here. Until then perhaps you should refrain posting your sarcastic views from this forum to a topic you don't agree with. -Kmall

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:16 am

I actually found the information regarding horseshoe crabs pretty interesting and in truth was unaware of how their blood was harvested and what it is used for. I think looking at the power of the FDA from as many angles as possible is instructive and this is a good example. And that’s why Geron will be very carful about any missteps until approval (and after).

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 pm

Bp - I don't think I could have surmised that up better if I tried. Thank you! The plight of the somewhat disregarded horseshoe crab and all species relying on it for their own survival is a prime example of where Government can actually make a difference on multiple fronts, while it continues to drag it's feet as Rome burns to the ground.

Everyone with half a brain and heart should realize the impact and ramifications of this situation for not only these creatures, but for us as humans and those of our generations to follow - your kids, my kids, etc, etc.

Think about this for a second - here is a creature that has been around longer than 450,000,000 years. That's a lot of zeros......and almost as many shares of GERN as a foul mouthed lunatic on the YMB claims to have. In a thousandth of a fraction of that time - less than 50yrs - we as humans have managed to push this species to the edge of extinction through several means. This is down right disgraceful. And the fact that Big Pharma right here in America can DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS, right here and now, should be front and center with efforts applauded in doing so. We all know that Dr. Scarlett is a big ocean/sea guy who has been blessed with the opportunity to dive into the wonderful universe of this planets oceans and witness first hand their beauty and magnificence. He knows the crowd who could push for this into becoming an issue for the FDA to look at immediately.......not five or ten years from now when we lose another 1-3 million creatures through this barbaric and unnecessary practice.

If anyone else sees the comparison here between this issue and what patients with Hematological disorders who could have access to a lifesaving drug with proven 2x Overall Survival than BAT, or a higher transfusion independence than BAT, then may I suggest you look at these links, sign a petition if you can and start a movement which should have happened almost 10yrs ago. It's embarrassing for us as a nation that inaction continues to this day as we watch from the sidelines as another half dozen species disappear forever. Time to put an end to this once and for all......what do say Chip? -Kmall

https://www.change.org/p/people-for-the ... l-industry

https://coastalreview.org/2024/02/horse ... rotection/
Last edited by kmall on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 pm

Kmall, pretty sure Dr. Scarlett starts his day with a cup of coffee and a visit to this board. It is highly likely your concerns well be viewed by him and considered. He of all people has the means and interest.

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:26 pm

Bp - 11 signatures added to the petition this morning.....I'd bet a dollar to a donut they came from readers of this board.

The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn. -Kmall
Last edited by kmall on Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:11 pm

Waddya mean you’d bet a dollar, you already owe me a dollar, oh wait maybe I owe you the dollar, can’t remember. Nevermind.

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:36 pm

I'm pretty sure you lost that one. Consider yourself lucky this boat doesn't have wheels.

Up to 11 now......

https://youtu.be/hW008FcKr3Q?si=nAPSGw03inl4YiQt

-Kmall

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:07 pm

I am good for it, send by seagull?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 pm

My only quibble here is the use of the word “lowly”.

Horseshoe Crabs outlasted the dinosaurs and I’m sure have seen epochs and 1000 year periods that were quite dangerous in those hundreds of millions. So I am hoping they survive our species’ ingenious idiocy.

From Caribou in Canada to Gorillas in Africa to song birds in the Middle East to Lemurs in Madagascar to Orangutans in Borneo to Elephants in India, the scope of destruction and the speed of habitat / population collapse has been so fast. The earth has seen it before though, I suppose.

It is unconscionable that “scientist-beurocrats” at the FDA can’t make this move, for sure.
kmall wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 pm
Bp - I don't think I could have surmized that up better if I tried. Thank you! The plight of the lowly horseshoe crab and all species relying on it for their own survival is a prime example of where Government can actually make a difference on multiple fronts, while it continues to drag it's feet as Rome burns to the ground.

Everyone with half a brain and heart should realize the impact and ramifications of this situation for not only these creatures, but for us as humans and those of our generations to follow - your kids, my kids, etc, etc.

Think about this for a second - here is a creature that has been around longer than 450,000,000 years. That's a lot of zeros......and almost as many shares of GERN as a foul mouthed lunatic on the YMB claims to have. In a thousandth of a fraction of that time - less than 50yrs - we as humans have managed to push this species to the edge of extinction through several means. This is down right disgraceful. And the fact that Big Pharma right here in America can DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS, right here and now, should be front and center with efforts applauded in doing so. We all know that Dr. Scarlett is a big ocean/sea guy who has been blessed with the opportunity to dive into the wonderful universe of this planets oceans and witness first hand their beauty and magnificence. He knows the crowd who could push for this into becoming an issue for the FDA to look at immediately.......not five or ten years from now when we lose another 1-3 million creatures through this barbaric and unnecessary practice.

If anyone else sees the comparison here between this issue and what patients with Hematological disorders who could have access to a lifesaving drug with proven 2x Overall Survival than BAT, or a higher transfusion independence than BAT, then may I suggest you look at these links, sign a petition if you can and start a movement which should have happened almost 10yrs ago. It's embarrassing for us as a nation that inaction continues to this day as we watch from the sidelines as another half dozen species disappear forever. Time to put an end to this once and for all......what do say Chip? -Kmall

https://coastalreview.org/2024/02/horse ... rotection/

kmall

Post by kmall » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 pm

Ryan - perhaps "lowly" was an inappropriate term, especially considering what an important part it plays in the overall picture. You are correct, every species is an important cog in the wheel that encompass our world and it is our duty as stewards of this incredibly beautiful planet that we have been blessed with, to protect every aspect as best we can. It's unconscionable that this topic is still in headlines at this moment. Glad to see that I'm not the only one finding relevance here. -Kmall

kmall

Post by kmall » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 pm

75 "signatures" added to the petition in this thread since Wednesday !!!!!.....not sure if all of these came via the link here on Imetelchat, but I'm fairly certain a decent amount have. For any of those who have taken the opportunity to do so, I applaud and deeply appreciate your efforts. THANK YOU!!! For any of those readers who haven't and care about the peril many life forms on our planet face - PLEASE DO......we are at a tipping point folks, in so many ways. Every life is precious and this is an issue which we and the FDA can help turn around.....every effort has to start somewhere. -Kmall