CKTC

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
biopearl123

CKTC

Post by biopearl123 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:20 pm

Been thinking about your last post. Here’ MAIA with an “elegant” drug with advantages at least in theory over Imetelstat and significant human assets like Sergei M. Gryaznov and Jerry Shay both of whom were once part of Geron. And yet… And yet, they seem to be way behind in clinical development and WAAAY behind in raising money and having the value of the company recognized despite at least one (Regeneron I think) large backer. Can you speculate why that might be? Also why not go after the liquid cancer market. There must be basic lab studies that took them in the direction of solid tumors or else they are bound by non public IP considerations. I know you didn’t think that the latter was an issue but in reading old patents a few years ago I am pretty sure I saw language to suggest that Geron had some hold on guanine related compounds that Sergei was working on. Best Regards, bp

CKTC

Re: CKTC

Post by CKTC » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:34 pm

I don’t think THIO’s advantages over imetelstat are only theoretical. In addition to overcoming the lag time and telomere length issues, the drug has a very clear dual MOA: telomere targeting and immunogenic. Its immunogenic effect and benign safety profile allow it to be paired with any of the checkpoint inhibitors – which is the focus of the current trial in NSCLC.

Regarding being behind Geron in development, I don’t view it that way. Maia has been in existence since 2018, and Geron has been in existence since 1990. Maia has raised about $60 million, and Geron about $1.5 billion. Imetelstat will likely be approved in 2024; if the current NSCLC plays out favorably, Maia has the potential to file for accelerated approval in late 2025. Regarding financing, Scarlett never cared about dilution, but since all of Maia’s original investors are still fully invested, it does care.

NSCLC is the most significant drug spend worldwide. The market potential in solid tumors dwarfs that of liquid. The section of the solid tumor market that MAIA is targeting – 2nd/3rd line where patients have few options and poor prognosis – lends itself to lower FDA bars and accelerated approvals.

Regarding the patents, I’m not inclined to look into them myself. Still, in their latest presentation, Maia claims to have one issued US patent, four issued foreign patents, five pending US applications, and seven pending foreign applications. Plus, they claim to have already developed in-house, newer, and more effective versions of THIO (something you can do when you have scientists on staff).

LWS

Re: CKTC

Post by LWS » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:57 pm

Imetelstat and THIO
Been thinking about your last post. Here’ MAIA with an “elegant” drug with advantages at least in theory over Imetelstat and significant human assets like Sergei M. Gryaznov and Jerry Shay both of whom were once part of Geron. --from bp
==============================

It is reasonable to believe that MAIA (Gryaznov and Shay) are in contact with Geron and that there are legal and gentlemen's agreements in place, based upon business considerations, gray areas in the patents and other intellectual property concerns.

In a relative sense, there are three groups of cancers that are telomerase influenced:

1/ easiest --- blood cancers (ET, MDS, MF, AML for example)--- Geron & Imetelstat
2/ intermediate --- colon, breast, lung for example --- MAIA & THIO
3/ most difficult --- pancreatic, brain for example

As I understand it, the major problem in treating the solid cancers is getting around various barriers (the delivery system--- such as nano-particles). I suspect, from what I have read, MAIA is making good progress
=======================================
NSCLC is the most significant drug spend worldwide. The market potential in solid tumors dwarfs that of liquid. The section of the solid tumor market that MAIA is targeting – 2nd/3rd line where patients have few options and poor prognosis – lends itself to lower FDA bars and accelerated approvals. --- from CKTC
========================================
Blood or liquid cancers are the 'easy-fruit' . There are numerous projects and new medicines to be developed. Geron and MAIA are now leaders in the field with more than enough work for all, and partnerships to be formed, once Imetelstat gets ODAC recommendations and FDA approvals some time in the first half of 2024.

========================================
Regarding the patents, I’m not inclined to look into them myself. Still, in their latest presentation, Maia claims to have one issued US patent, four issued foreign patents, five pending US applications, and seven pending foreign applications. Plus, they claim to have already developed in-house, newer, and more effective versions of THIO (something you can do when you have scientists on staff). --- from CKTC
======================================

The University of Texas medical departments and MD Anderson's (at U. of Texas) both have an interest in all of this is. I suspect that they communicate.
=============================================
University of Texas at Austin and MD Anderson Cancer Center will partner to create a new $2.5 billion hospital
The new medical facility, to be located in downtown Austin, will help expand the University of Texas System’s reputed cancer center outside of the Houston area.

BY STEPHEN SIMPSON
AUG. 14, 2023

UT-Austin will expand its medical facilities by partnering with MD Anderson Cancer Center to create a new $2.5 billion cancer treatment hub on the site of the center, formerly a multipurpose facility.

The University of Texas at Austin and one of the most well-known cancer treatment centers in the world are partnering to build a new $2.5 billion medical hub geared toward serving Central Texas.

The University of Texas System Board of Regents Chair Kevin Eltife announced Monday plans to create the new facility in partnership with the MD Anderson Cancer Center, the nation’s No. 1 cancer hospital. MD Anderson is part of the university system and has several locations in the Houston area.

“The establishment of the University of Texas at Austin Medical Center, with UT MD Anderson Cancer Center adjacent to a new university hospital and access to all of UT-Austin’s education and research assets, will undoubtedly result in transformative cancer care, provide students at the flagship campus with unmatched experiences, and benefit patients throughout the state and nation for all time,” Eltife said.