Specific question

Forum rules
- Comments must be civil and on topic
- Back up claims with evidence/reasoning/sources (posting links is allowed)
- No commercials/harassment/spam
Gwikley

Specific question

Post by Gwikley » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:58 am

Do not know enough about the pathway(s) of Imet. So am asking for some help here.
A good friend has Multiple Myeloma.
Were it available, would Imet be at all effective?
Not even sure how to phrase the question, but I think you get my drift.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gwik

jingledsassy

Re: Specific question

Post by jingledsassy » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:33 pm

I would travel to the Mayo Rochester Mn....you don't need a referral....Go to Saint Mary's Hospital [part of the Mayo] Emergency room just about 6 blocks from the Mayo and you will be in their system the same day....plan on 3/4 days stay...I recommend the Kahler Hotel but there are others....Your friend will know exactly where he stands and options available with their 2nd opinion NEXT Week....

biopearl123

Post by biopearl123 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:30 pm

Gwickley, Imetelstat was tested in multiple myeloma over a decade ago. Two institutions were involved, University of Maryland and Johns Hopkins. The study showed a reduction in the number of circulating myeloma stem cells. It did not rate an oral or poster presentation at a major meeting. As far as I know even after writing to one of the authors for additional information, the study was not pursued. There was discussion back then about the “specificity” of Imetelstat for the CSC (cancer stem cell). In any case I don’t think under any circumstances, even at Mayo, your friend would or could be offered Imetelstat. Once it is approved I suppose we might see some off label use but only over the screams of the third party payers or use outside of approved indications might require out of pocket payment. More likely there will be some restrictions as to who gets it based on FDA approval restrictions.

Gwikley

Post by Gwikley » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:22 pm

Thank you!